How Mobile Learning Apps Are Changing The Education Game
The turn of this decade has encouraged a ton of revolutionary applications to hit distribution platforms and the era of handheld technology has birthed a newfound desire for mobile learning. Students and employees are on the constant look-out for expanding their skillset. This active search has skyrocketed the demand for mobile education, the market predicted to boom by a whopping $46.9 billion by 2024. So far, there are at least 200,000 applications specifically tailored towards education, including Kuwait mobile apps, on the App Store alone. It is the third most popular category there, surpassed only by gaming and business applications.
The impact of remote education and work on academic and non-academic institutions as well as on students and employees, has been apparent ever since COVID-19 became a thing. The ongoing pandemic has certainly reinforced the integral role of mobile learning apps in the global education system. And mobile app developers in Kuwait have surely recognized this role.
But what exactly is mobile learning? It is essentially the delivery of training and education to learners through provision of online materials, resources, information, and support. The learning can be a premium blend of visual and text-based instruction, allowing users to tread the learning path as complete beginners, eventually reaching advanced levels. Learning apps utilize the best of modern technologies, gamification, and psychology, to create interesting and engaging user experiences.
However, mobile learning is different from e-learning. Electronic learning is typically programmed for desktops and laptops, where learners master course material in fewer sessions by spending longer durations of time in front of their screen. With mobile learning, users can access materials via a mobile device, where convenient access encourages them to study more often in shorter increments and take assessments immediately after lessons. The slick user experience is what makes mobile learning apps far more efficient and superior than e-learning platforms and traditional LMSs.
Let’s now list some primary advantages of mobile app development for learning and reasons why you should start investing in them.
- Ease of Access – This is one of the most important features of learning apps. No matter where you are, or what time of the day it is, you can simply pull out your tablet or mobile device and access the desired learning material. The accessibility of mobile learning is what makes it so easy for busy learners to incorporate it into their crowded schedules.
- Flexibility – All mobile learning asks for is a mobile device and a stable internet connection. Learning apps defy the confines of time and space. One doesn’t need to waste time commuting to a classroom or try to squeeze in study-time when they’re barely awake. Learners can choose to perfectly align their learning timetable with whenever it is that they feel the most productive and receptive. And they can do this at their own pace too.
- Promotion of Microlearning – Microlearning involves the division of complex material into digestible and retainable bite-sized pieces. It’s a response to our diminished attention spans yet ever-increasing thirst for knowledge. Bite-sized learning not only significantly increases engagement but is easier and much more cost-effective to produce for content creators. This advent is even more beneficial when combined with gamifications and spaced repetition, which can further incentivize learners.
- Better engagement – User engagement in mobile learning apps is already on the high end of the spectrum simply due to the fact that most people are best attuned to their mobile devices. The familiarity draws them in. What’s more, mobile apps are quite literally designed around the likes and preferences of users themselves, with the sole purpose of engaging them. Audios, videos, graphs, and other forms of visual learning when combined with a responsive app design undoubtedly increases user participation and retention. Especially for companies that use mobile learning apps for employee training, the app’s communication features that allows for real-time updates, discussion forums, and active collaboration, drives engagement even further.
- Personalization – This is a precursor to creating engaging content for users. Mobile learning apps created by app development companies collect personal data provided by users at the very start and use this information to offer customized interactions. It allows the users to choose their pace and tasks for the day, at the times they feel most productive, something traditional classrooms fail to offer. The app is tailored around the individual who is in complete control of the learning material. Personalization is one of the best ways to provide an optimal user experience.
- Cost-effectiveness – Mobile apps in general are much more affordable to build and maintain than they used to be. Additionally, you can easily offset costs or even generate profits by incorporating in-app purchases, advertisements, and other monetization models (Check out our blog that walks you through building the perfect monetization strategy for your app). Also, think about the avoided costs in terms of getting a large number of employees or students in the same room, at the same time, to be trained by a single instructor. You’ll save big on equipment and space plus learners will be able to access the same course materials any number of times, thus saving on L&D.
Needless to say, the benefits and profits associated with mobile learning apps far outweigh the costs. But it’s also essential to mention the key features that should be included in any educational app. To start off, your app developers will need to provide an onboarding process and a tutorial explaining the primary features of your app, and how users can navigate around them. Next, you should allow users to create a personal profile and enable push notifications, through which you can mark their progress and invite them to participate in new challenges and lessons. If your app centers on collaboration, you’ll want to implement communication tools too. Finally, don’t forget to gamify! Gamification is one of the best ways to engage and encourage users. Earning points and rewards and unlocking new levels is what makes education a truly fun and exciting experience.
All in all, mobile learning is the future of education. If you wish to jump on the train and create a mobile app for learning and training, get in touch with our experts, who will transform your traditional course material into a full-fledged mobile learning app. Design-Master is one of the few long-standing mobile application development companies that employs some of the best app developers in Kuwait. We specialize in both Android and iOS application development and have managed to create an extensive and wide-ranging portfolio over the many years of our operation. Take a look at our work here, and reach out if you wish to translate your idea into a profitable app: https://www.design-master.com/#Portfolio